About Me

My Photo
I worked as a tour guide for two summers at the Umpqua River Lighthouse in Oregon. This opportunity enabled me to learn more about this lighthouse than any of the others I've seen. Although I have personally visited and photographed 302 lighthouses in the United States and three Provinces in Canada, the Umpqua River Lighthouse has special meaning for me. This is where I was inspired to write my book titled, "The Wickie."

Book Info.


Check out my book, "THE WICKIE." See the book cover and watch the trailer below.
(Wickie was a nickname used by the early lighthouse keepers at the Umpqua River Lighthouse in OR.)


This 1860's story about the lighthouse keepers and their families at the Umpqua River Lighthouse will warm your heart. Discover the challenges they met but never expected, and their determination to maintain navigational aid to mariners on the Oregon coast.

To order your signed copy of "The Wickie", send me an e-mail: awbates1955@gmail.com. The Book is $15 plus tax and shipping.

My book is also available on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. At their website, click on books - In the Search area enter The Wickie.
Use the Tabs below for links to these websites.




13 June 2013

Virginia - Old Point Comfort Lighthouse

The Old Point Comfort Lighthouse is located on Fort Monroe, VA. This octagonal shaped tower overlooks Hampton Roads Harbor and the Chesapeake Bay. It was built in 1802 of sandstone and stands 54-feet high. It's spiral staircase is made of hand-cut stone. Several oil lanterns originally provided the light which could be seen for approximately 14 miles out to sea. Years later, the oil lanterns were replaced with a fourth-order Fresnel lens. The lighthouse is the oldest standing structure at Fort Monroe.

During the War of 1812, the tower was used as a lookout by British invasion forces while they attacked Washington.

The adjacent house was the light-keeper's quarters. It was built in 1891 to replace the original keeper's dwelling. After the lighthouse was automated in 1975, keepers discontinued occupation of the house and it became property of the Army.

At the time of my visit here in 2000, the lighthouse was still an active navigational aid and property of the U.S. Coast Guard.

No comments: