About Me

My photo
After retirement, for two summers I worked as a tour guide at the Umpqua River Lighthouse in Oregon. This opportunity enabled me to learn more about that lighthouse than any of the others I've seen. Although I have personally visited and photographed over 300 lighthouses in the United States and three Provinces in Canada, the Umpqua River Lighthouse has special meaning for me. That Lighthouse inspired me to write two fictional books with the characters working, living, and enduring the challenges of lighthouse keeping. All pictures posted in this blog were taken by myself, unless noted otherwise.

Book Info.

I hope you will find time to enjoy my books. Preview the book covers below at the right side of page.

Book #1: "The Wickie and the Umpqua Lighthouse." Detail: "The Wickie and the Umpqua Lighthouse" is an 1860's story about the lighthouse keepers and their families at the Umpqua River Lighthouse. It will stir your emotions and warm your heart. Discover the challenges they met but never expected, and their determination to maintain navigational aid to mariners on the Oregon coast. (Wickie is a nickname used by the early lighthouse keepers at the Umpqua River Lighthouse in OR.)

Book #2: "Spirit of The Lighthouse" is a sequel to The Wickie. Detail: Jesse Fayette, assistant keeper at the Umpqua River Lighthouse, finds himself alone to operate and maintain an Oregon lighthouse after the accidental death of his head keeper. After notifying the Lighthouse Board and requesting help, he is surprised but must deal with an acquaintance, Red Saunders, who believes the lighthouse is haunted.

Book #3: "Unexpected Moments" has a different theme than those of Book #1 and #2. Detail: Dan and Megan, as well as their old friends Jim and Anna, experience unexpected moments of hardships and tragedies in Arizona and California. Will they survive these unexpected moments and find any hope for their futures?

All of my books are available on Amazon.

20 July 2012

Maine - Portland Head Lighthouse

The Portland Head Lighthouse is located at Fort Williams State Park, Cape Elizabeth, ME. Construction of Maine's oldest lighthouse began in 1787, but was abandoned before much could be accomplished due to lack of funds. In 1789 the new nation's first Congress appropriated $1,500 to complete the project. In November 1790 it was concluded, and President George Washington appointed Captain Joseph Greenleaf as the first keeper.

The fieldstone tower originally stood seventy-two feet high overall, but was shortened by more than one-third in 1813. It was restored in 1865 following public outcry over the loss of forty-two lives in the unfortunate shipwreck of the transatlantic steamer Bohemiam along the Cape Elizabeth shore. Local residents loudly protested a second lowering of the tower in 1883. They succeeded in having the cropped amount built back, and this time utilizing brick. The overall tower structure now rises eighty-feet above the rocky headland, and beams its white light from one-hundred-one feet above sea level.

The morning of my visit to this lighthouse in 1997, the fog was so thick the lighthouse was barely visible upon my arrival in the parking lot. After waiting for several minutes the fog finally moved and enabled me to cautiously walk along the rocky shore to get this picture. Although the top of the tower remained in the fog, I was able to take the picture at the moment the white light flashed through the fog. This can be seen better if you click on the picture.

2 comments:

Judy Watters said...

Hi Al,

Glad you mentioned to click on the picture. What a great picture. I actually enjoyed a picnic near the Portland Head Lighthouse when I was about 10 years old. That would have been '59 or '60. It was very cold and my aunt had made baked potatoes. Don't know how she kept them so hot till we got there. Thanks for bringing back some great memories.

Al said...

Hi Judy; Good to hear my picture of Portland Head Lighthouse brought back good memories for you. I have to admit that since I haven't been there since 1997, posting the picture and narrative brought back great memories for me.
Thanks for your comments, and I'm pleased you enjoy my lighthouse blog.